What is this course about?
The AS course is assessed on the externally set task 100%, which is 10 hours. The externally set task will be released on 1 January and will provide a number of themes to select from.
The A2 course is a two year course, which is an overall A Level qualification. The externally set task will be released on the 2nd February.
The main purpose of the course is to develop your ability in creating meaning by an expressive or inventive artistic response to the visual world, a personal context or social issue.
The course will also develop your skills in the use and control of formal elements, techniques and technologies and the application to the selected media. You will develop your understanding of how ideas, feelings and meanings connect to images and artefacts at a personal level and how they are also socially constructed over time through genres, styles and traditions.
You will need to demonstrate an understanding of context in your work.
How you will be assessed?
Student work will be assessed by the teacher every half term.
The work will be externally assessed in the summer term.
- Personal Investigation is 60%. This includes a related study with a minimum of 1,000 words and a maximum of 3,500 words.
- A portfolio of practical work hsowing a personal response to a theme.
- Externally set task 40%, which is 15 hours.
What will it prepare you for?
The course will prepare you for further education and higher education within the arts and other creative courses such as advertising, animation and fashion etc.
Subject entry requirements:
- GCSE grade 5 or above in English.
- GCSE grade 6 or above in Art & Design is preferred. Students who achieve a strong grade 5 will also be accepted on to the course.